Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spinach Basil Pizza

First you start with fresh basil. This basil plant was a gift, brought to me from a trip to Trader Joe's in Albuquerque. It had the most enormous basil leaves I've ever seen! Of course, now the plant is dead...I (Daughter) can't seem to keep a basil plant alive to save my life. It's really sad, actually, because I think fresh basil should be a food group.

I learned this simple recipe from friends, who used pepperoni* instead of the sun-dried tomatoes. Here's my veggie twist.

1 prepackaged pizza crust
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bag fresh baby spinach leaves, stems removed
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed
1/2 red onion, diced
1 pkg crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes

1. Preheat oven according to prepackaged crust directions.
2. In small microwavable bowl, combine olive oil and garlic together. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and set aside.
3. Combine spinach and basil leaves on a cutting board, and coarsely chop.
4. Spread olive oil & garlic mixture over pizza crust.
5. Top pizza with spinach & basil, add red onion, feta cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes.
6. Bake according to prepackaged crust directions.
7. Slice and enjoy!

*If you choose to add pepperoni to this pizza, spread a thin layer of pepperoni on a paper towel, cover with another paper towel, and microwave for about 20 seconds. Blot any excess grease before adding pepperoni to the pizza to avoid giving the spinach an oily texture.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good and sounds good.

    Being the insatiable carnivore that I am, I’d add ground lamb to this pizza. As Emeril would say “kick it up a notch? Ya.. Babe!”. But he’s a douche…

    I am so making this recipe with the lamb though…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emeril's a total douche. I bet the lamb would be awesome for you carnivores!

    ReplyDelete