Friday, October 22, 2010

Veggie (or not!) Corn Dog Bites

When I (Daughter) lived in California, I was a big Trader Joe's junkie.  Among my favorite freezer items were the Veggie Corn Dogs.  Simple.  Tasty.  One minute in the microwave and I was embracing my inner 4 year old.  So now that I live in Texas and the nearest Trader Joe's is 4 hours away, I needed to find a substitute.  Our local health food store doesn't sell anything similar, and I don't have the first clue how to make corn dogs, so here's my bite-sized veggie take on the corn dog.  This simple recipe could make a fun hors d'oeuvres for a casual bbq, too!
Ingredients:
  • Corn muffin mix (I prefer Arrowhead Mills Organic Corn Muffin Mix)
  • 4 Veggie hot dogs, sliced in 1/4 inch thick slices (or regular hot dogs, if you prefer)
Utensils:
  • Melon baller
  • Mini-muffin pan (the kind that makes 24).  I prefer the silicone pans.
Prepare corn muffin batter according to package directions. Spray muffin pan with non-stick baking spray, such as "Baker's Joy."  Using melon baller, fill each cavity halfway with batter. Place 1 veggie hot dog slice in each cavity, then fill cavity the rest of the way with batter.
Bake according to muffin mix instructions, or until muffins are golden and glorious! 

Makes about 36 corn dog bites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment